This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
Did you know Cumin seeds are rich in anti-inflammatory antioxidants, and are also known to be antibacterial and antiseptic. Hence it boost digestion, good to treat anemia and good for immunity system. In this blog post I will show you how to make Cumin rice without onion and garlic.
Read Benefits of Cumin Seeds to know what this powerhouse dried herb seed can do for you.
Jeera Rice or Zeera Rice or Cumin Rice is an Indian dish that is prepared by frying white rice grains or Basmati rice along with cumin seeds and whole spices in oil before steaming it altogether.
Since Cumin seeds have a distinct aroma and are hot in flavor it does not go with all curries. It needs to be paired with specific curries only such as Butter Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Meatballs curry etc.
Hence in the Indian household or atleast in my house my mom would usually prepare cumin rice when we have guest coming over or on a special occasion with certain curries and sides.
There are quiet a few ways to make Cumin Rice (Jeera Rice). It can even be made with left over white rice. Some even add onions to it. However in this recipe, I have excluded onions and made it from scratch and not with left over rice.
Also since I have made this is dairy free version hence I have used oil instead of Ghee but if you have no dairy allergy then you can always substitute the oil for ghee.
You can prepare this with Indian Basmati rice or any long grain white rice.
Recipe benefits for people suffering from food allergies
What to serve with Indian Jeera (Cumin) Rice
- Chicken Meatballs Curry
- Smoked Butter Chicken
- White Chicken Curry
- Mutton with Fenugreek Leaves (Methi Mutton)
- Black Eyed Beans Curry
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @family.fun.tech and #familyfuntech on Instagram. Thank you!
Indian Jeera (Cumin) Rice Recipe
- 1 Small sauce pan (To boil 4 cups of water)
- 1 Wider Cooking pot
- 1 Simmer Mat
- 2 cups White rice / Basmati Rice Rinsed in water a couple of times
- 3 tbsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera Seeds)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Javitri (Whole Mace)
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Firstly, rinse the rice a couple of times in water and then soak it in clean water for atleast 40 mins to an hour.
- In a small cooking pot on high heat add in 4 cups of water and bring to boil. (The rice and water should be in the ration 1:2)
- In a wider cooking pot on high heat, add in the oil.
- Once its hot, add in the bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves, star anise, javitri and cinnamon stick. Stir for around 1 min until the aroma is released of the whole spices.
- Add in the cumin seeds and stir for another 1 min until the seeds crackle
- Turn the flame to medium heat and add in the rice (Make sure you drain the water that it was soaking in before adding it to the cooking pot)
- Stir and turn it ocassionaly for around 2 mins. If you turn or stir often then the rice will break.
- Now turn the heat to medium high and add in the boiling water. Add salt as needed.
- Let it boil for around 5 mins until most of the water has been evaporated and you start seeing the rice.
- Then turn the flame to low heat, place a simmer mat below the cooking pot and then cover and cook for another 3 mins or so until the rice is totally cooked.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices