This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
These Mutton Chops in Black Pepper which can be prepared in 2 deliciously different ways with minimal ingredients is your savior for times when you need to prepare an extra dish just because not all like eating the one main dish that you plan to make or even for those times when you have a get together and you need to prepare an appetizer along with a main dish. It will not only save your time but will turn out to be delicious without much effort.
Well the story behind me making this recipe 2 ways is because of my husband who is not fond of mutton chops in gravy form hence to please all taste buds and save time, I used few marinated chops coated them with egg and breadcrumbs and shallow fried them instead.
Where I am concerned, I like it both ways but my preference depends on what it can be eaten with.
For instance: the semi dry gravy goes very well with bread rolls, paratha or rice. And the mutton chops fry can be eaten as an appetizer or as a side with dal (lentil curry) and rice.
In this recipe I have used a total of 12 chops out of which:
- 9 – semi dry gravy
- 3 – shallow fried
What are Mutton Chops?
Mutton chops are cuts from the ribs of a goat. “Mutton” in this recipe refers to the meat from a goat. However you can even get cuts from the ribs of a lamb commonly known as lamb chops.
Only 6 basic ingredients for marination
It has only 6 basic ingredients which are readily available in any pantry. I would insist on leaving the mutton chops to marinade overnight in the refrigerator. This method ensures the marination seeps through the meat while making it tender and thus bringing out great flavours.
- Whole Black peppercorns
- Cumin seeds
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh lemon juice
Since the marination is the same for both methods hence in this blog post, you will find two recipes in the same recipe card below.
Making both of these together will be a good choice for a family get together when you are pressed for time and do not want to stress to much on different marinations and method for an appetizer and main dish individually.
What to serve with Mutton Chops in Black Pepper
Inorder to make a complete course pair this mutton chops in black pepper with Vegetable Pulao for any family and friends get together.
Recipe benefits for people suffering from food allergies
- Dairy free (semi dry gravy)
- Soy free
- Nut free
- Free from sunflower seed oil, as I have used rice bran oil
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @family.fun.tech and #familyfuntech on Instagram. Thank you!
Mutton Chops in Black Pepper- 2 delicious ways
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Colander
- 12 pieces Mutton chops fat trimmed and washed
For Mutton Chops Masala (semi dry gravy)
- 2 Large Onions finely sliced
- 1 Small Tomato
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Water
- Salt as needed
Fot Mutton Chops (Fried)
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs as much as needed
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of salt
For Mutton Chops Marination
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Black peppercorns
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 2 inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- Salt as needed
Marinading Mutton Chops
- Firstly, clean and wash the mutton chops. We usually trim of the fats as much as we can. Leaving back just a little bit for the flavor. Set a aside in a colander to drain of excess liquid.12 pieces Mutton chops
- In a mixer grinder, coarsely grind cumin seeds, black peppercorns, ginger and garlic1 tsp Cumin seeds, 2 tbsp Black peppercorns, 5 Garlic cloves, 2 inch Ginger
- In a large mixing bowl, add the mutton chops along with the earlier coarsely ground mixture. Also add in the fresh lemon juice and salt as needed.2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice, Salt as needed
- Give it a good mix until well combined and then place the chops in the refrigerator to marinade overnight.
Mutton Chops In Black Pepper Masala (semi dry gravy)
- In a pressure cooker over medium high heat add oil once it’s hot add the sliced onions along with the mutton chops. I had used 9 mutton chops for the semi dry gravy setting aside 3 for shallow frying.Fry them on medium high heat for 5 mins. You will notice that the onions have become soft and have left water with a slight colour change in the meat.2 Large Onions, 2 cups Water, 3 tbsp Oil
- Close the pressure cooker and set it on high heat for 1 whistle. Then on a low flame for 4 whistles.
- Open the pressure cooker safely once the steam has been released. Check if the mutton is cooked by piercing it with a fork. If it pierces without any effort then it’s done. Also check how much water is remaining in the cooker. Adjust the salt as needed.If it’s to watery then continue with the following step. If there is not much water and the gravy looks like the consistency you need then transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and it’s done.Salt as needed
- Transfer this to a large skillet and continue cooking over medium heat until the water dries enough and you are left with a semi dry gravy. You can even continue drying the water in the pressure cooker covered but without the whistle.
- Once you have achieved the desired consistency then switch off the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Mutton Chops in Black Pepper Shallow Fried
- In a small bowl, add an egg with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix it up well using a fork1 Large Egg, Pinch of pepper, Pinch of salt
- In a small plate add the breadcrumbs and set aside. Use as much as needed½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- On low heat, in a frying pan add oil2 tbsp Oil
- Dip the mutton chop individually in egg first and then in breadcrumbs until coated on all sides. Then place the chops on the frying pan.
- Cook on one side until the sides are golden brown in colour then flip it over and cook on the other side until the same colour is achieved. Make sure the flame is on low heat as the chops need to get cooked thoroughly.
- Once done remove them on kitchen paper towel so that the excess oil gets absorbed by the paper towel.
- Finally serve it hot with lemon wedges and a dip of your choice.
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices
- I have used 9 mutton chops in semi dry gravy and have shallow fried 3.
- You will need to judge how much time the meat would take to get cooked. Usually the meat that we get from our local store gets cooked in 1 fast and 4 slow whistles. Do not worry if by any chance you have mis judged and the meat is not yet cooked. You can always cook it further in a large skillet covered over low heat.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @family.fun.tech on Instagram and hashtag it #familyfuntech
Leave a Reply