This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
Goat meat (Mutton) is a lean meat rich in calcium and potassium whereas fenugreek leaves (Methi) improves blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels and improves digestion. Combining these two in the form of a Mutton curry brings out a distinct flavor. In this post I will show you an easy way to prepare this mutton curry with just few simple ingredients.
This Mutton Curry is rich in taste that will make an amazing dish for a dinner get together with family and friends. You can serve this with either bread rolls or roti or paratha or even rice.
What to serve with Mutton Curry with Methi Leaves
Recipe benefits for people suffering from food allergies
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @family.fun.tech and #familyfuntech on Instagram. Thank you!
Mutton Curry With Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves
- Pressure Cooker
- 500 grams Mutton (Goat Meat) Clean and cut into medium pieces
- 2 cups Fresh Fenugreek Leaves chopped
- 2½ tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 medium Onions chopped
- 3 medium Tomatoes chopped
- 1 large Potato cut into 2 inch in size
- ⅓ cup Oil
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing
- ¾ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- On medium flame in a pressure cooker add oil. Once hot add the ingredients mentioned in “Whole Spices”⅓ cup Oil, 1 Black Cardamom, 4 Cloves, 1 Bay Leaf, 2 Green Cardamom
- Once the aroma has released which will take around 30 seconds add the chopped onions. Fry them until they turn golden brown in color.2 medium Onions
- Add the chopped potatoes and fry them along with the onions for 5 mins. Then remove them and set it aside on a plate.1 large Potato
- Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for 20 seconds.2½ tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Now add the washed and drained mutton pieces. Keep frying by stirring continuously until the mutton changes color and oil starts to leaves its sides. This will take around 10 minutes.500 grams Mutton (Goat Meat)
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and continue to fry for about a minute.3 medium Tomatoes
- Add the ingredients mentioned in “Masala Powder” stir until well combined.¾ tsp Turmeric Powder, 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder, 2 tsp Coriander Powder, 1 tsp Cumin Powder, Salt as needed
- Now add 1 cup of chopped fenugreek leaves and stir well.2 cups Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
- Add 1 glass of water then close the pressure cooker lid. Cook it on high flame for 1 whistle and then turn the flame to slow and cook it for 10 mins.
- The aim is to make sure the mutton is 95% cooked. Then release the air from the pressure cooker and open the lid. Check if the mutton pieces are cooked well. If not, do not worry. You will know why in the following steps.
- Now add the semi cooked potatoes back to the cooker along with the left over chopped methi leaves. Adjust the water and spices accordingly and cover the cooker with the lid. Do not close the cooker completely. Let it cook on slow flame for 10 mins.
- If the mutton is still tough and you do not have much time on your hands then you can again close the cooker lid tightly and pressure cook it for 1 fast whistle and 5 or 10 mins on slow flame. Depending on how tough the mutton is.
- Finally open the lid and garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with rice or paratha or bread.2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices