This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to our disclaimer for more information.
Have you spent hours figuring out what to cook wherein your brain is of little or no help? Well, this happens to me quiet a bit. In fact it has happened to me lately when the aroma of vegetable pulao from my neighbors house has come to my rescue 😄. This is how having a neighbor who is a good cook can be of such help.
After that I was immediately struck by memories of my family parties. Where chicken curry and vegetable pulao was a staple.
Vegetable Pulao is a one pot veg dish cooked with white rice, vegetables and flavored with spices.
Vegetable pulao adds a certain richness to a dish when accompanied with a curry. It’s a great veg main course for a party. It’s a very easy and can be made very quickly.
Usually when you eat vegetable pulao in a restaurant they usually have a lot of vegetables in it however I prefer the ratio of rice to be more compared to the vegetables as we like enjoying it with a curry so having more rice compared to the vegetables makes it lighter and tastier in my opinion.
I have used Maggi Vegetable Cube in this recipe, for those who do not know what it is or where you could find it, then refer to the Amazon link below. However you can even do without it. It’s just that it adds a nice flavor to the rice. But if it’s not available in your market then don’t stop yourself from trying this recipe out as you can definitely do without it.
Main course to go with this Vegetable Pulao
For any family and friends get together you can pair this vegetable pulao with Chicken Curry or if you are looking for a veg option then Black Eyed Beans curry would be apt for it.
Recipe benefits for people suffering from food allergies
- Dairy free
- Nut free
- Soy free
- Egg free
- Free from sunflower seed oil, as I have used rice bran oil
If you have tried out this recipe or anything else from our blog then we would love to hear your feedback. Please give it a rating and leave a comment in the section below or tag a photo @family.fun.tech and #familyfuntech on Instagram. Thank you!
Vegetable Pulao Quick and Easy
- Cooking Pot
- 2 ½ Cups White Rice rinsed and soaked in water for 45 mins
- 1 Medium Carrot cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 Medium Potatoes peeled and cut into cubes of an inch in size
- ½ Cup Peas
- 1 Medium Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp Shah Zeera
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom
- ½ Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Chilly
- ¼ Cube Maggi Vegetable Cube
- ½ Tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Salt as required
- Before you begin wash and rinse the rice in water until the water comes out clear. Then soak it in clean water for at least 30 mins.
- In a cooking pot add oil and heat it on medium flame.
- Once it’s hot add bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and shah zeera and let it splutter.
- Then add the thinly sliced onions along with green chilies and fry stirring continuously until they turn golden brown after which add the finer garlic paste and fry for 2 mins stirring continuously until the raw smell goes away.
- Then add carrots, peas and potatoes and fry stirring occasionally for 5 mins. Later, Add very little water, turn the flame on slow and cover and cook until the potatoes are just about cooked.
- Open the lid and add the Maggie cube, salt and pepper powder and give it a good stir.
- Now turn the flame to medium, and add the rice without the water. Fry it stirring continuously for 3 mins.
- Turn the flame high and add 4.5 cups of water. Add the lemon juice and adjust the salt as needed.
- Let it cook on high flame until the rice is 3/4 done and little water remains
- Now place the vessel on a simmer mat, turn the flame to low and cover and cook until the rice is done.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve with the curry.
- If you need help with any Herb or Spice listed in this recipe then refer to the guide: List of Herbs and Spices
- For white rice, I have used Basmati Rice. However you can use any white rice that is available with you.
- I have used frozen peas however you could even use fresh peas and parboil them before using them as mentioned in this recipe.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @family.fun.tech on Instagram and hashtag it #familyfuntech
Leave a Reply